Bastion Point

Built to commemorate Michael Joseph Savage, one of New Zealand's most revered leaders, the Savage Memorial and the surrounding garden stands proudly atop Bastion Point at the western end of Mission Bay. You also get a spectacular view of Hauraki Gulf from here.

Walsh Brothers Flying School

Leo and Vivian Walsh made the first successful powered flight in New Zealand in their home-made plane, the Manurewa (flying bird) in 1911. They later established New Zealand's first flying school on the foreshore at Mission Bay. A new sculpture may now been seen on the Selwyn Reserve, celebrating the achievement of the Walsh brothers, local aviation pioneers.

FLYING HIGH AT MISSION BAY

Fred Graham scultureA new sculpture at Mission Bay's Selwyn Reserve celebrates the achievements of the Walsh brothers.

Artist Fred Graham used titanium rods to create the bird sculpture which has a 6m wingspan and is suspended 6m above the ground - as a tribute to Leo and Vivian Walsh. The artist was chosen in a 2004 design competition held by the Eastern Bays Community Board.

Local Attractions/Things to do

Mission Bay's golden beach is safe for swimming year-round while the reserve and promenade are perfect for roller-blading, jogging, volleyball, touch rugby and a variety of other pursuits. Sailing, windsurfing, kayaking and cycling are also popular. Rollerblades, kayaks and bikes are available for hire through Ferg's Kayaks.

Those who prefer a more leisurely life style may sun bathe, people watch, picnic or simply do nothing at all. The restaurant strip, Auckland's only beachfront dining precinct is the ideal place to enjoy a coffee, drink or meal.

For children, there's a wonderful playground, a fountain and lots and lots of golden sand to get between their toes.



History

Mission Bay has a number of attractions of historic interest.

The Mission House

The Melanesian Mission House was built from volcanic stone bought from Rangitoto. It was opened in 1859 to coincide with the arrival of 38 Melanesians on board the Mission vessel, Southern Cross. By 1915 only the stone dining hall block remained, the rest of the buildings having been removed or used in the repair or erection of farm houses and outbuildings on the Melanesian Estate.



The Mission Bay Fountain

The Mission Bay Fountain, was given to the citizens of Auckland in 1950 by Mr and Mrs E.R Davis in memory of their son, Trevor. This magnificent art deco fountain 'plays' regularly sending dancing jets of water as high as 12m in the air and features a spectacular lightshow at night.